06/03/2019 Testimony : Founder The Exit Centre Moses Tay


《Because of Jesus》



The Exit Centre Founder - Moses Tay
You will recall the testimony of Raymond Tay last month from Malaysia where I mentioned that his brother Moses also had a very interesting testimony which is featured below.

May the grace and peace from God our heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you. My name is Moses Tay Kock Yew and I am fifty-five years old. I am married. My wife is a pastor and we have a seven-year-old daughter. We currently live in Muar, Johor.

I grew up in the little-known village of Central Paloh. I have nine other siblings and I am the eighth child in the family. The family that I grew up in was that of the Buddhism faith, so were the neighbours in my village. My mother was a devout Buddhist, while my father on the other hand seemed to be an atheist.

Since young, I had followed my mother’s faith. I would pray to idols which my mother prayed to. On top of that, I would also follow others in worshipping idols. I did not know who Jesus Christ was. I also did not know that He had known me since the very beginning.

 During those trying times, my beloved mother needed a steady source of income to raise the ten of us. There was a coffee shop that was on sale then and she bought it. Though she was unfamiliar with the nitty-gritty of operating a traditional coffee shop, she managed to raise us from the earnings of the coffee shop business through her unwavering grit and hard work.

A Fallen Life
Faced with such complicated circumstances during my adolescence, I fell into bad company and joined a secret society at the tender age of thirteen. I quit schooling at the age of fifteen in 1978. From then on, my life began to change drastically. I got bolder as I felt I had the backing of my secret society.

Eventually, I picked up the habits of smoking, drinking, gambling night-clubbing and sexual immorality. I also rose in rank as the gang leader of my secret society when I was eighteen years old in 1980. I even got in contact with gangs from a neighbouring country where I recruited some members to be initiated into my
secret society, from there, I met people of different trades involved in dubious activities. Callous and naïve as I was as a robust young man, I did everything I could for my secret society. I got involved in gang fights, collecting “protection monies” and operating clandestine gambling dens.

 I felt I was on top of the world then. Little did I know that danger was awaiting me just around the corner – Death! Owing to a failed relationship, I went on a destructive path of drinking and partying to numb myself from the pain of being mentally distraught.
 At the age of twenty, I made my first contact with drug dealers and drug addict friends. I did not know then that I had begun my dangerous journey bordering on the edge of death. In order to earn more money, I began to push drugs to others. My journey of drug abuse started from then on. I started experimenting with hallucinogens, super glue, marijuana, opium, heroin and intravenous drug use.

I eventually got addicted to heroin. I tried using my own willpower to kick the habit, but I failed miserably. I tried using many different methods to kick the addiction but to no avail. I even considered committing suicide several times; but I did not have the guts to do so each time I harboured such thought. As such, fifteen years of my life were bound by drug abuse and addiction. During that fifteen years, not only did I hurt myself physically and mentally but I also hurt my own family members and friends emotionally and psychologically. In order to satisfy my addiction, I resorted to stealing, lying and even robbing. I even started selling drugs to help feed my nearly RM300 per day addiction needs.

Eventually in 1994, the arm of the law finally caught up with me and I was arrested by the police from the Kluang Johor Police Department. I was sentenced to two years in prison and three strokes of the rotan (cane).

In 1996, I was released from the prison. Out from the prison, I vowed with a new determination to do good and be a changed man.
                    
 I wanted to stay away from drugs, to help out in the family business, and to be a filial son. However, I failed miserably again. I got back to my old ways and started taking drugs again. At the time, I felt I was in the dark abyss of no return. Life to me then was meaningless and hopeless.

That was the turning point in my life. It started from one simple word of encouragement from my brother that I picked up my courage to step into the rehab centre to be reformed. That was the beginning of a life journey towards light. I repented before the Lord and embarked on a journey of hope and renewal.

It was through one verse from the Bible that made me to be willing to give my whole life in servitude to The Lord, and to be used by Him as His valued vessel - Romans 12:1. God summoned me to go out and help those who are bound by drugs. Till this day, I have been involved myself with the drug rehabilitation ministry for 21 years.


Continued..



Continued..

 During my time in the ministry, I was able to see the mercy and grace of the Lord acting in the lives of many of those lost souls bound by drugs. I am deeply moved by being able to witness God’s deliverance of them. I give all praises and thanks to The Lord.

The Lord said in John 8:12: “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” Another thing that I am greatly grateful for is that my third elder brother Kok Ann, by witnessing my living testimony as a transformed person through Jesus Christ, accepted The Lord in 2001.

Currently his entire family members have all turned to the Lord. Following this, my youngest brother Kenny and his entire family, my third elder sister Susan and her entire family, my fourth elder brother Raymond and his entire family, all accepted the Lord one after the other.

Furthermore, I was truly exhilarated when my father accepted Christ and was baptized on 29 Sep, 2012. He returned to our Father’s embrace on 27 Feb, 2013. As for my mother, she accepted Christ and removed all the idols from her house on 3 March, 2013. She was baptized on 4 Aug, 2013. She is now 91 years old and
is still healthy and well. Another matter that struck me greatly was that a number of my nephews and nieces have also accepted The Lord.

 I can only describe this as a miracle of God that it is his mercy and grace showered upon my family. This was something I prayed for earnestly after I converted, that all my family members turned to Jesus Christ for His saving grace. I have been able to witness it all with my own eyes. The Bible says: Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26).

Thank the Lord that I have been able to experience his faithfulness and his abundant grace all these years. As mentioned in the Bible:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalms 23:1). The Lord is my shepherd and I am His sheep. As long as I remain faithful and follow His ways, my life will be abundant and will never be lacking.

 In 2009, I founded and established The Exit Gospel Rehabilitation Centre. God was able to help me to weather through the hardest of times of my life through various helps and support from many people. As of 2017, I stepped down as the Centre’s Principal and passed the baton of leadership to a committed and
capable leader.

God had prepared and raised up a new leader and 15 other like-minded coworkers to run the Centre. The Centre currently has about 100 occupants and about 90% of them have accepted The Lord.

In our current society, drug abuse and addiction problem has reached an epidemic proportion, the youths and intellectuals are the main targets and victims of this social problem. These are the people the Lord loves. It made me think of how I should help these people. Should I just continue on with my everyday life or should I …? This is my current struggle, and worries…..

Apostle Paul said: “I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race” (Romans 9:1 – 3)

 For a good 22 years (1975-1997), I had lived a life that was sinful and corrupted, walking on the edge of death without hope. I was saved by our Lord Jesus Christ’s grace, that I can live to serve Him and his people. I could never imagine where I would have been now if I had not been saved by His grace. I have nothing to boast but the power of Christ that saved me. Amen.

As Paul had said: May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14)
P/s: Please keep me in your prayers with regards as to my future plan and direction. Thank you. Brothers and sisters in Christ, may the grace of The Lord forever be in your hearts. Amen!

A big thank you to Raymond Tay for getting this testimony to us.